PhishLabs Releases Phishing Trends & Intelligence Report for Q1 2017
Key findings include: 20 percent uptick in phishing volume in Q1 versus Q4 2016; attack volume focused on payment services rose 76 percent year-over-year; and more than 88 percent of all attacks targeted five critical industries.
Charleston, S.C., June 8, 2017—PhishLabs, the leading provider of 24/7 phishing defense and intelligence solutions, today announced today announced the release of its Phishing Trends & Intelligence (PTI) Report for the first quarter of 2017.
Key findings of the Q1 2017 PTI Report include:
- Overall phishing volume in the first quarter of this year was 20% higher than in the fourth quarter of 2016.
- Phishers have shifted towards payment services with attack volume growing by 76% year-over-year.
- More than 88% of attacks in the first quarter targeted five industries: financial institutions, payment services, webmail/online services, cloud storage/file hosting services, and e-commerce companies.
- Phishing attacks targeting social media users and SaaS companies have tripled year-over-year.
- Attacks targeting cloud storage providers declined by 25% in the first quarter after nearly eclipsing financial institutions as the top target in 2016.
- There were 63% fewer IRS phishing attacks in the first quarter of 2017 than in the first quarter of 2016.
- The number of phishing sites hosted using SSL certificates has grown significantly, making up more than 10% of all phishing attacks in the first quarter of the year.
“The first quarter of 2017 shows just how quickly the phishing threat landscape can change as threat actors shift who they target and how,” said PhishLabs CEO Tony Prince. “With PhishLabs, organizations have a security partner that’s focused on staying ahead of these adversaries and fighting back to stop phishing attacks.”
The information and analysis contained in the report is sourced directly from the company’s 24/7 operations and technologies used to fight back against phishing attacks. In the first quarter of 2017, PhishLabs analyzed more than 143,000 confirmed malicious phishing sites and mitigated more than 25,000 phishing attacks, investigating their underlying infrastructure and shutting them down.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in Charleston, South Carolina, USA, PhishLabs provides 24/7 cybersecurity and threat intelligence services that help organizations fight back against attacks targeting their employees and customers. PhishLabs is trusted by four of the top five U.S. financial institutions, seven of the top 25 global financial institutions, leading social media and career sites, and top healthcare, retail, insurance and technology companies. In addition to mitigating more than 7,800 phishing attacks per month, PhishLabs clients benefit from real-world actionable intelligence, analysis, and guidance from the PhishLabs R.A.I.D. research division, which is comprised of some of the world’s most respected malware researchers, reverse engineers, and threat analysts focused on monitoring global attack trends, dissecting cyber tradecraft, and tracking cybercrime. For more information, visit https://www.phishlabs.com and follow @phishlabs.
PhishLabs and T2 are registered trademarks or trademarks of Ecrime Management Strategies, Inc., in the United States and other countries. All other brands, products, or service names are or may be trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.